Sunday, July 16, 2006
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Monday, June 26, 2006
Chemists Last Words
2. Are we supposed to heat that?
3. And now a little bit from this...
4. ... and please keep that test tube alone!
5. And now shake it a bit.
6. Why is there no label on this bottle?
7. In which glass was my mineral water?
8. The bunsen burner *is* out!
9. Why does that stuff burn with a green flame?!?
10. *H* stands for Nitrogen - and that does *not* burn...
11. Oh, now I have spilt something...
12. First the acid, then the water...
13. And now the detonating gas problem.
14. This is a completely safe experimental setup.
15. Where did I put my gloves?
16. O no, wrong beaker...
17. The fire alarm is just being tested.
18. Now you can take the protection window away...
19. And now, keep it constant at 24 degrees celsius, 25... 26... 27...
20. Peter can you please help me. Peter!?! Peeeeeteeeeer?!?!?!?
21. I feel how long 15 seconds are!
22. Something is wrong here...
23. Where did all those holes in my kettle come from?
24. Trust me - I know what I am doing.
25. And now a cigarette
Monday, June 19, 2006
ARE WE STILL UNSURE:?????
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
YOUR HELP NEEDED PLEASE GO ALONG AND LOOK AT THE SITE
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has signed up for 2,996 so far.
After just about 2 weeks, I have signed up 111 bloggers to post a tribute on 9/11.
Obviously that means I have a long way to go.I have set up a page dedicated to the tribute. You can see the page at http://www.dcroe.com/2996
I would also like to thank those of you who have offered help in addition to their participation. Several of you have supplied graphics, many of which are now available on the page linked above.
I have placed one of these atop my own sidebar and ask those of you who would like to help publicize this project to use one of these logos to place a link in your own sidebars.
If you do so, please remember though, to link the the 2996 page and not to my main blog.
It's not that I wouldn't mind the traffic, but I'm not doing this to get more traffic, I'm doing this for the reasons listed in the initail post.
I have also taken, or at least triend to take, the advice of a few of you and set up a technorati tag (2996), although with my limited use to technorati, I'm not sure if I've done ir correctly.
That's about it for now.Remember, please, please, please pass the word along.
There is a long way to go to 2,996.D.Challener Roehttp://www.dcroe.com/blog
Sunday, June 11, 2006
It's A Monk's Life
In an ancient monastery, a new monk arrived to dedicate his life to God and to join the others copying ancient records. The first thing he noticed was that they were copying by hand books that had already been copied by hand.
He had to speak up. "Forgive me, Father Justinian, but copying other copies by hand allows many chances for error.
How do we know we aren't copying someone else's mistakes? Are they ever checked against the originals?" Father Justinian was startled.
No one had ever suggested that before.
"Well, that is a good point, my son.
I will take one of these latest books down to the vault and study it against its original document."
He went deep into the vault where no one else was allowed to enter and started to study.
The day passed, and it was getting late in the evening.
The monks were getting worried about Father Justinian.
Finally one monk started making his way through the old vault, and as he began to think he might get lost, he heard sobbing.
"Father Justinian," he called. The sobbing grew louder as he came closer.
He finally found the old priest sitting at a table with the new copy and the original ancient book in front of him.
It was obvious that Father Justinian had been crying for a long time.
"Oh, my Lord," sobbed Father Justinian, "the word is 'celebrate'!"